[GRASS-dev] GRASS & cygwin quite slow

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Aug 4 15:01:23 EDT 2006

Moritz,

Currently, the GRASS TclTk GUI works without X11. Almost all GRASS modules
work without X11 or there is a TclTk replacement for critical modules.
v.digit is the only major exception now. NVIZ without X11 may still be in
transition. It still has problems on Intel Macs and I'm not sure about where
it is for Windows.

I hear that GRASS compiles under MinGW without X11.

What this all means is that with comparatively minimal work (compared to
rebuilding the entire GUI and any related links to C modules in wxPython),
GRASS **should** run natively under Windows with nearly all modules
functional. This ought to be a LOT faster than Cygwin.

We need some people to test and work on this. I believe that Glynn Clements
is working on it, but could probably use some collaborators.

I have very similar issues to yours. If we could get a native windows
version--for all the folks who prefer or are forced to use that platform--I
would have no problem justifying using GRASS in classes and getting
colleagues to try it. In many respects it is easier to use and teach than
ArcGIS.

Michael

Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213