[GRASS-dev] GRASS & cygwin quite slow

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Aug 4 17:47:16 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> Currently, the GRASS TclTk GUI works without X11. Almost all GRASS modules
> work without X11 or there is a TclTk replacement for critical modules.
> v.digit is the only major exception now. NVIZ without X11 may still be in
> transition. It still has problems on Intel Macs and I'm not sure about where
> it is for Windows.

Executing external programs (e.g. using g.list to generate a list of
maps) doesn't work. The actual OpenGL rendering works fine.

> I hear that GRASS compiles under MinGW without X11.
>
> What this all means is that with comparatively minimal work (compared to
> rebuilding the entire GUI and any related links to C modules in wxPython),
> GRASS **should** run natively under Windows with nearly all modules
> functional. This ought to be a LOT faster than Cygwin.

The main issue here is that gis.m would need to use the immediate
rendering provided by the new version of libraster. The MSVC runtime
doesn't include socket functions (and Windows itself doesn't support
Unix-domain sockets), so using a separate PNG driver won't work.