[GRASS-dev] [bug #4960] (grass) gis.m has menu entries for nonexisting modules

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Aug 5 12:32:06 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> I suppose a partial solution would be to at least check to see if the
> command file listed in the menu exists in one of the 3 standard locations
> and return something on the order of "This GRASS command is not installed".
> It wouldn't help if it was installed but not executable.

The problem is that you need to err on the side of caution, i.e. only
disable the option if you can guarantee that the command will fail.
Otherwise you're introducing a real bug to fix a not-really-a-bug.

That's assuming that you consider disabling menu items to be a good
idea in the first place (which I don't).