[GRASS-dev] Mac OS X frameworks beta 2

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Aug 6 12:36:19 EDT 2006

Good to hear the feedback.  I'm not sure what's up with the Aqua Wish
- did you use Apple's or the ActiveTcl?  Apple's might have issues
since it's a bit old.  Has the same Aqua wish worked before?  But,
probably not anything to do with the frameworks.

The Aqua TclTk (IMHO) is not really usable anyways - for a "Mac" look
and feel, it's not complete, there are still many GUI widgets that
aren't native for some reason (ie sliders) so it ends up looking
strange, and OSX widgets are often larger and mess with layout (or
from another perspective, have more fluff around the edges and so cut
off text labels, like in buttons).

Note - I've released a few more versions, and I felt it was ready to
pull out of beta.  Check out the current set of frameworks.  I just
added GD and PDFlib this weekend so I can work on switching my
MapServer package over to the frameworks.

On Aug 6, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> I've been using a new Macbook to test this out - so unfortunately
> everything's new, complicating troubleshooting, but I'm catching up.
>
> I downloaded the frameworks, and installed.  Tried your GRASS.app,
> and it's working well, at least in light testing.  Then tried
> compiling against your frameworks, and that worked once I got the
> hang of the flags.  Finding this updated post of yours was a big
> help.  Did my own compile of 6.1-RC1, and it went cleanly.
> Starting up the program, after choosing the mapset, two of the
> gis.m windows briefly appear (I think it's the credits screen and
> the command history window), then all disappears, and I'm left with
> only the GRASS prompt.  Finally noticed that this was using the
> Aqua wish - so setting env vbls to use X11 wish, and it seems to be
> working fine.
>
> Will keep playing, just wanted to send some feedback.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin