[GRASS-dev] GRASS & cygwin quite slow

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 8 04:11:43 EDT 2006

Huidae Cho wrote:

> > > I found the latest CVS version does not compile under the last week's
> > > Cygwin for some reasons.  Maybe this problem has to do with the way of
> > > building DLLs.  Has anyone tried to compile CVS sources under Cygwin?
> >
> > Yes. The --enable-shared stopped working after upgrading Cygwin. The
> > DLLs are built, the programs are built against them, but trying to run
> > a program results in nothing happening (no errors). Running the
> > program via gdb/strace results in a segfault.
> >
> > AFAICT, this is a Cygwin issue. As it affects all programs, the only
> > GRASS changes to affect it would have to be related to libgis or the
> > build system, and I can't see anything suspicious in that area.
>
> (cd grass6 && make) stops at lib/vector/diglib when executing the test
> program.  It seems like it takes forever for executables to find DLL
> exported symbols such as dig_set_cur_port().  It just stops there and
> holds terminal.  Killing the process four times in the Task Manager
> actually stops it, but it happens again at some point (maybe it's
> libgrass_dig again).

That's the first point in the build process where a GRASS executable
is run. I don't get a hang; the programs just do nothing. No output,
no error message, no delay.

I don't want to spend too much time on this right now in case it just
goes away by itself in the next Cygwin update. Cygwin does appear to
have adopted a slightly relaxed definition of "stable" recently (e.g.
changing the "stable" X release from 6.8.2 to 6.8.99.901).