[GRASS-dev] New installation for wxPython GUI

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Aug 10 08:48:32 EDT 2006

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Michael Barton wrote:
>>> From: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>

>> Let me know what happens. One of my grad students compiled from source
>> yesterday. He still has some issues but not all that you have below.

Gotten around to compiling version 2.6.3.3 for python 2.4.3

>>> - the display does not automatically redraw when I drag another window
>>> over it. I have to click the display map button.
>>
>> I have absolutely no problem along these lines. There might be a way to
>> force this, but it sounds like either a problematic version of a bug
>> in the
>> Debian compile.

I still have this problem. When you say you don't have this problem, is
this on Mac or on GNU/Linux (Debian ?). If Linux is it wxGTK ?

>>> - I still have the panning problem. What it seems to be is that the
>>> program does not release the mouse, so even if the mouse is outside the
>>> window it still continues to pan. The only solution still is to switch
>>> to another workspace and back. Then the map is gone, but the mouse is
>>> usable again.
>>
>> My student had the same problem. I think I've fixed it. Try the newest
>> version of mapdisp.py on my website.
>
> Now panning works as expected (even though ...), but it still does not
> release the mouse. When I click outside of the map display window and
> drag it is as if the cursor were still on top the map display and the
> map gets panned... As before I have to switch workspaces to get access
> to the mouse again.

problem still present.

>>> - When I launch a command I get the correct command window, but any
>>> subsequent command launched will give me the same window (i.e.
>>> containing the options of the first command launched) except for the
>>> title which correctly indicates the name of the command launched. Seems
>>> like there needs to be some reinitialisation done.
>>
>> This doesn't happen to me at all. I have no idea...
>

> Maybe a version or compilation problem... ?

I don't know if it actualy did this before, but now it appends the new
options to the old options, i.e. I chose one command, I see its option
window, I close it, chose another command in the menu and the options of
the second command are appended after those of the first, and so on (see
http://moritz.homelinux.org/grass/gmwxp_option_windows.png for an
example with one vector and one raster (starts at "Name of input raster
map") module).

Precision: this is when I launch commands through the menu, not through
the console (if I am not mistaking, launching a command from the console
still opens the tcl/tk windows, not the wxpython window, or ?).

Could these problems come from specific issues with the GTK port of wx ?

Do users of other GNU/Linux distributions have the same kinds of problems ?

Moritz