[GRASS-dev] question about merging DEMs at the edges

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Aug 11 15:17:50 EDT 2006

In my project, we are patching together ASTER DEM¹s. The ones generated with
the new software from USGS are very nice. However, there remain artifacts at
the edges. Largely due to the fact that each DEM, in UTM projection, is
projected onto the earth¹s sphere in slightly different locales, when you
patch them together, the edge of one doesn¹t exactly match the elevations of
the adjacent one. In a few spot tests today, the difference is pretty small
<= 15m in elevation. But this is still enough to cause problems in
hydrologic modeling if your watershed happens to fall in 2 different DEM¹s
(as ours does).

So does anyone have a suggestion as to how we can smooth out the artificial
scarp that occurs when we patch together a couple adjacent DEM¹s like this?

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671