[GRASS-dev] [bug #4992] (grass) man conflict

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Aug 12 19:33:16 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler via RT wrote:

> > 'mysql' is anyway a misnomer for a manual about the use of db.connect and
>
> in the GRASS case this refers to the name of the driver for mysql (likewise
> for the other drivers).
>
> > nobody will ever type 'man mysql' for it.
>
> That's true. But it would be in any case:
>
> g.manual mysql
>
> > The same goes for dbf, pg, odbc etc,
> > so db/drivers/*/* should be excluded from conversion to man in
> > man/Makefile .
>
> I don't think so since the user is definitely interested how to
> use the DB *drivers*, have a look at:
> http://grass.itc.it/grass61/manuals/html61_user/sql.html
>
> The RPM conflicts looks like a spec file problem to me
> (usually the GRASS man pages remain in the GRASS subdir)

It ought to be possible to view GRASS manpages from outside a GRASS
session. I normally view them using XEmacs' "M-x manual-entry" (by
adding $GISBASE/man to $MANPATH).

The names of GRASS manual pages shouldn't have any unnecessary
conflicts with those from other packages. Even if they are installed
in $GISBASE, they should avoid "shadowing" any other manpages which
might be in the manual search path.

IMHO, the pages for the DB drivers should be renamed to e.g.
dbmi-mysql etc, so as not to conflict with the pages for the actual
database packages.