[GRASS-dev] Region problems in grass 6.3 (maybe also 6.1)...

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Tue Aug 15 14:07:09 EDT 2006

Hi all,

      A very interesting and frustrating problem has just presented
itself to me. The region settings seem to "break" after using the new
zoom tools from the map display. i get the following error message in
the Output window:

region for current mapset is invalid
line 15: <depths:     0>
run "g.region"

    This message displays after zooming a few times, or after attempting
to do anything at all with "g.region" (including just printing region
settings). Also, all the new zoom tools in the map display seem to do
nothing after this message, and I cannot display any of the maps in my
mapset. I have looked at the WIND file for the afflicted mapsets, and
they seem perfectly normal. For example, the above error message is
associated with the following WIND file:

proj:       1
zone:       36
north:      3742844.70455
south:      3309044.70455
east:       944264.754065
west:       560076.932184
cols:       12806
rows:       14460
e-w resol:  30.0006108
n-s resol:  30
top:        1
bottom:     0
cols3:      12806
rows3:      14460
depths:     1
e-w resol3: 30.0006108
n-s resol3: 30
t-b resol:  1

 Making a new mapset allows me to run "g.region" without any problems
until I use the new zooming tools, and then the same problem occurs.
Restarting GRASS initially allows for the maps to be displayed again,
but after zooming a bit, or trying to run "g.region" again, the region
eventually "breaks" again. What I specifically do not understand is why
the error tells me to run "g.region" when doing so does nothing, and
seems to even cause the error in the first place. Does anybody have any
idea what the issue is here? I am using GRASS 6.3, compiled from the CVS
source yesterday (08/15)... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Isaac