[GRASS-dev] New installation for wxPython GUI

twiens twiens at interbaun.com
Tue Aug 15 16:22:32 EDT 2006

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
To: Trevor Wiens <twiens at interbaun.com>
Cc: Developers List <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>,
grass at grass.itc.it
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] New installation for wxPython GUI
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:30:34 +0100

... snipped ...
> And, unless you manage to abstract the d.* layer away
> perfectly (which is likely to be harder than it seems),
> users will need to learn two sets of commands.

That is my intention, and I realize it won't be easy.

> IMHO, it would make more sense (and reduce code bloat) if
> a GUI layer was simply an arbitrary d.* command. At least,
> any other approach would appear to require justification
> as to its benefits.

Please refer to my reply to Michael about cartography.

> Regardless as to the merits of a GUI, the need to be able
> to perform all tasks (including viewing maps) from a shell
> remains. In order to be able to remove the existing
> monitors, it is necessary to have a suitable replacement,
> which means the ability to use the GUI as nothing more
> than a monitor.

That was of the central ideas of the IDE GUI concept in my
mind when it was first discussed.

> bash sucks as a programming language. It's a perfectly
> good interactive shell, and will remain the primary
> interface to GRASS for a signficant proportion of its user
> base.

That is why I'm considering sockets in the first place so
that the GUI can embed a terminal of any kind (bash, windows
[which was scheduled for significant improvement in the next
interation of windows but you never now with M$], IPython,
etc) and still function.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

--