[GRASS-dev] wxpython gui: speed of display

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Aug 16 04:53:32 EDT 2006

Hello,

While we are working on a new wxpython prototype, I would like to
mention raise the issue of speed of display (which is also valid for
gis.m).

When I display a vector map with 65961 boundaries and 20464 areas, it
takes about 10 seconds to display it with type=area and fcol=none (ca
13s with no parameters set). In ArcView under Windows this takes only
max 3s.

I was wondering where the difference comes from. Is it the passage
through g.composite ? Is it the fact that we are not dealing with simple
features ? Something else ?

Most of the work done here in my department is with vector maps and if
responsiveness is not there, this is one argument for those against
switching our work entirely to GRASS.

So maybe this stage of gui development is a good moment to think about
this ?

Moritz