[GRASS-dev] Keywords in module descriptions

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Aug 17 15:49:32 EDT 2006

Hi,

a proposal for a better navigatable documentation of GRASS:
I would like to add

    module->keywords = _("a, b, c, d");

to each command. These keywords would then
- automatically appear in each HTML/MAN page
- be content of the XML output by --interface-description
  (maybe parsable then <keywords>a, b, c, d</keywords> for
   automated GUI arranging?)
- probably made visible in the TclTk GUI if we want that
- visible in the "help" text, example:

r.cost help

 Outputs a raster map layer showing the cumulative cost of moving between different geographic locations on an input raster map layer whose cell category values represent cost.

Usage:
 r.cost [-vknr] input=name output=name [start_points=string]
   [stop_points=string] [start_rast=string] [coordinate=x,y[,x,y,...]]
   [stop_coordinate=x,y[,x,y,...]] [max_cost=cost] [null_cost=null cost]
   [percent_memory=percent memory] [--overwrite]

I have it running on my PC for r.cost.
With a sed job I could substitute all
   module->description = ...

by
   module->keywords = _("a, b, c, d");
   module->description = ...
automatically.

Maybe we could make a Web application to visualize the keywords
like a navigatable tree or "TouchGraph" [1] or whatever appropriate.

Any objections?

Markus

[1] Just as an selfish example (needs Java):
    http://www.citeulike.org/nocrawl/touchgraph_applet.adp?article_id=172900
    (double click on the floating objects to navigate)