[GRASS-dev] [bug #5028] (grass) simwe needs indirectly linked vector libs

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Aug 21 10:38:29 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5028
> >>
> >> Subject: simwe needs indirectly linked vector libs

> >> To fix, edit simwe/simlib/makefile: add $(VECTLIB) to EXTRA_LIBS, and add $(VECTDEP) to
> >> DEPENDENCIES.  At least that's what I do for now.
> >
> > Ideally, this should be fixed by adding any required libraries to the
> > library variable in Grass.make.in.
> >
> > The individual Makefiles should only need to specify libraries which
> > the module uses directly (i.e. where the module's source code contains
> > a call to a function in that library). The build system should take
> > care of the rest.
> >
> > For shared GRASS libraries, the dependencies shouldn't be necessary.
> > If the linker only finds them when there is an existing installation,
> > that implies that the link flags need something similar to the
> > -Wl,-rpath-link,${LIB_RUNTIME_DIR} switch which is used on Linux.
> >
> > Static libraries don't have dependency information, so it needs to be
> > specified explicitly in Grass.make.
>
> I have made the changes for both LIDAR and SIMWE, I hope I got it right.

I've just committed changes to add the dependency information, as well
as add the LIDAR, SIMWE and LRS libraries to the build system (I had
to resolve a couple of conflicts due to your concurrent LIDAR/SIMWE
changes).

The setting for LIB_NAME was missing from the library Makefiles for
LIDAR/SIMWE, so I've added that.

Primarily, I added the dependency information for all of the GRASS
libraries, based upon the database created by tools/sql.sh. This only
covers dependencies between GRASS libraries; any external dependencies
will need to be added separately.