[GRASS-dev] hardcoded 'xterm': wrapper?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Aug 28 03:25:40 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote on 08/28/2006 07:40 AM:
> Where are hard-coded xterm references causing a problem? Is it only in the
> GUI or is it elsewhere?

Also elsewhere. They are a problem e.g. on Debian where
x-terminal-emulator should
be used.
Now the script (lib/init/grass-xterm-wrapper):

1. checks if $GRASS_XTERM is set, if not
2. searches if x-terminal-emulator is present, if not
3. uses xterm.

> If only in the GUI, there is already a wrapper for nearly all xterm use. We
> just need to make it consistent across the entire set of TclTk scripts.

This was not the case. At least it wasn't used.

> Also, if it is just in the GUI, it might be better to make the wrapper in
> TclTk than a shell script. If we need it elsewhere, however, I guess a shell
> script is the way to go.

Done so (the latter).

Markus