[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4905] (grass) gis.m: d.text.freetype does not allow spaces in text

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Aug 29 15:10:54 EDT 2006

Do you know what fonts you were trying to use that didn't work?  Most
of the common fonts that come with OSX are dfonts (Apple's fonts) and
suitcase TT fonts (the M$ fonts).  There are a few unix-style .ttf
fonts in the system (but those tend to be other language script
fonts), and some OTF Japanese fonts.

X11 vs Aqua shouldn't affect freetype itself.  Though if you use
Apple's X11-bundled freetype, I found that suitcase font support is
disabled there, and only dfonts and unix-style fonts work.

On Aug 29, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> D.text.freetype would not display any text the Mac, either using
> x11 tcltk
> or aqua tcltk. That and other problems people were having is why I
> took it
> off the GIS layer toolbar. You can still set default screen fonts
> using
> freetype text. I think this does work OK.
>
> Michael
> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671
>

>> From: William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com>
>> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:51:01 -0500
>> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
>> Cc: <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
>> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4905] (grass) gis.m:
>> d.text.freetype does
>> not allow spaces in text

>> Michael, just noticed this comment - how is FreeType text broken
>> (besides the spaces problem)?  I've been having problems with getting
>> freetype to read dfonts and suitcase'd TT fonts in OS X (but unix-
>> style .ttf fonts work).  I found a fix that is in the freetype CVS
>> waiting for the next version, but it's supposed to be an OSX Intel-
>> only problem.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect