[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4905] (grass) gis.m: d.text.freetype does not allow spaces in text

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 23:16:04 EDT 2006

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Do you know what fonts you were trying to use that didn't work?  Most
> of the common fonts that come with OSX are dfonts (Apple's fonts) and
>
> suitcase TT fonts (the M$ fonts).  There are a few unix-style .ttf
> fonts in the system (but those tend to be other language script
> fonts), and some OTF Japanese fonts.
>
> X11 vs Aqua shouldn't affect freetype itself.  Though if you use
> Apple's X11-bundled freetype, I found that suitcase font support is
> disabled there, and only dfonts and unix-style fonts work.

Hi,

just testing d.text.freetype on GRASS 6.3 (including just-now fix from
Glynn for main.c) I'm still getting a crash (SIGFPE) if the text=""
contains a space. The debugger traces it to this call in main.c (line
1040).

        if(FT_Render_Glyph(face->glyph, ft_render_mode_mono))
	{

i.e. it breaks within FT_Render_Glyph() if ch=32; it doesn't make it as
far as Glynn's new code (the next line).

in the terminal:
Floating point exception
Monitor <x0>: Premature EOF

Similar problems with GRASS 6.0.2 and 6.1.0 (!). I'm a little surprised
to find this in 6.0.2 as I've been using the same Debian/stable setup
for a while so nothing has changed much. I guess I've been using
d.font.freetype + d.text mostly, but I'm surprised none the less. In
6.0.2 it gives a segmentation fault, not a FPE.

(Linux on P4)

Hamish