[GRASS-dev] grass63 -text startup screen

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Aug 30 23:53:51 EDT 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 03:07:55 +0100 (BST)
Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

-snip-
> description and make the Mapset description a line longer. Also took on
> board all the comments about the Database description and here is the
> latest version:
>

> LOCATION: This is the name of a geographic location. It is defined by a
>            co-ordinate system and a rectangular boundary.
>
> MAPSET:   Each GRASS session runs under a particular MAPSET. This consists of
>            a rectangular REGION and a set of maps. Every LOCATION contains at
>            least a MAPSET called PERMANENT, which is readable by all sessions.
>
> DATABASE: This is a directory (folder) containing the GRASS locations.
>
>           The REGION defaults to the entire area of the chosen LOCATION.
>           You may change it later with the command: g.region

The wording looks great. But I did think of one more thing (sorry
Paul). Looking at the text interface to check your comment about
Spearfish, I remembered that when I first used GRASS (some years ago
now) I thought the ordering of fields was odd. Wouldn't it be more
logical to put the DATABASE first and the associated entry field also
first? Since locations are dependent on databases? Thus the order of
description and input would be from the largest unit to the smallest.
It would also place the comment about the region default directly under
the MAPSET description.

If it isn't a big hassle to change it would make the text interface
more similar to the graphic one as well as more logical, so it would be
a nice refinement IMNSHO.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)