[GRASS-dev] invoking d.vect and d.rast from CLI

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Aug 31 16:07:15 EDT 2006

On Thu, August 31, 2006 20:15, Patton, Eric wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting d.rast and d.vect working on the command line.
> Here's a step-by-step to reproduce using Spearfish:
>
> After initial Grass 6.3 startup finishes:
>
>>d.mon -L
> name            description                    status
> ----            -----------                    ------
> PNG             Create PNG Map                 not running
> png1            Create PNG Map                 not running
> png2            Create PNG Map                 not running
> png3            Create PNG Map                 not running
> png4            Create PNG Map                 not running
> png5            Create PNG Map                 not running
> png6            Create PNG Map                 not running
> png7            Create PNG Map                 not running
> gism            Create PNG Map for gis.m       not running
> x0              X-windows graphics display     not running
> x1              X-windows graphics display     not running
> x2              X-windows graphics display     not running
> x3              X-windows graphics display     not running
> x4              X-windows graphics display     not running
> x5              X-windows graphics display     not running
> x6              X-windows graphics display     not running
> x7              X-windows graphics display     not running
>
> # Shouldn't gism be shown as running here?

No, since last week, gis.m uses Glynn's implementation of monitor-less
renderning via the GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE variable.

> ~ >g.region rast=elevation.10m
> ~ >d.rast -o map=elevation.10m
>  100%
>
> # Nothing draws in the gis.m map display!
> # Let's try a vector instead...
>
> ~ >g.region vect=soils
> ~ >d.vect soils
>
> Again, nothing displays.
>
> Any ideas on what's going on here?

Try rendering without launching gis.m. Check if GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE is
set to true.

However, I don't know if when it's set, it will render to the same ppm
file as gis.m.

Moritz