[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] invoking d.vect and d.rast from CLI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 31 18:04:36 EDT 2006

Patton, Eric wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting d.rast and d.vect working on the command line.
> Here's a step-by-step to reproduce using Spearfish:
>
> After initial Grass 6.3 startup finishes:
>
> >d.mon -L

> # Shouldn't gism be shown as running here?

No. The gism monitor is no longer used; even when gis.m did use it, it
would start and stop it as necessary.

> >d.mon start=gism

The gism monitor is "reserved" for gis.m. Don't attempt to use it
yourself. Now that gis.m no longer uses it, it is likely to be
removed.

> ~ >d.mon -L

> # I seem to remember before that gism was shown as being selected immediately
> # upon starting Grass...

It used to be, but isn't any more. But that doesn't matter.

> ~ >g.region rast=elevation.10m
> ~ >d.rast -o map=elevation.10m
>  100%
>
> # Nothing draws in the gis.m map display!

Even when gis.m used the gism monitor, this wouldn't have worked.
gis.m will only attempt to display the images which are generated at
its request. Any other images generated by the monitor will be
ignored.

> # Let's try a vector instead...
>
> ~ >g.region vect=soils
> ~ >d.vect soils
>
> Again, nothing displays.
>
> Any ideas on what's going on here?

You appear to have misunderstood what gis.m does and how it works.

Currently, there is no mechanism by which another process can control
what is displayed in gis.m. Such a feature would be useful, but
implementing it would be non-trivial.