[GRASS-dev] gis.m notes

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Wed Dec 6 16:01:19 EST 2006

Hi,

I had some courses with GRASS newbies and so I had opportunity to
observe them and see, what kind of trouble they are having with gis.m
and GRASS modules.

First I have to say, that nobody seemed to have real problems using
gis.m and get her/his map or perform some data analysis on it, so: great
work Michael and others!

The major problem was, that the users expected, that the icon in
list of layers  for current map display is active, so one can click on it and NOT the
text (e.g. raster1). Even
when the people knew allready, that they have to click on the text and
not on the icon, firstly they tryed to click on the icon, which did not
work. Would it be possible to make the icon active too?

Second thing, if they start new map-display, their list of layers
disappeared and they did not know, that the list of layers is somehow
coresponding with (current) mapwindow. Maybe, it would be cool to add kind of
tabs for each running display, so you would switch between map displays
not only by clicking on them, but also in gis.m window just like e.g.
firefox does.

It would be cool, if the mapwindow would redraw after new map is added
to list of layers (just like arcgis does it) or if there would be some
kind of switch for doing this.

And last thing, maybe I found some bug in new georectifier: mapset seems
to be changed to source mapset (xy) after some conditions and GRASS has to be restarted. We
reproduced this bug on 3 computers, but I did not have time to mark the
steps, which are leading to this. I'll post some details in the future.
I'm just writing this for the case, anybody else noticed this "feature".

But as I said, it was great to see new people, who are able "just to
work" with GRASS using the new GUI manager. Thanks a lot for your work!

Jachym
--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz