[GRASS-dev] gis.m notes

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 00:39:08 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> It would be nice to have some kind of visual indication that you've
> got a clean slate for each new display but any existing ones are still
> around. I tried to do as you suggest and was unsuccessful. I ran into
> underlying programmatic issues (or lack of ability). There is a
> notebook widget in bwidgets, but I couldn't get it to work correctly
> in this way automatically with switching displays. On the pragmatic
> side, the GIS Manager window is pretty small and might run out of room
> with more than a few displays open. On the other hand, maybe no one
> would want to open more than a few displays simultaneously.

doesn't help with automatically switching tabs, but see g.region GUI for
tab code.

I don't think we are too short on vertical space, so a fontsize=10 bold
title at the top of the list wouldn't take too much space. I never have
more than 3-4 maps in the list at one time. (but I do complicated map
making from the command line..)

> > It would be cool, if the mapwindow would redraw after new map is
> > added to list of layers (just like arcgis does it) or if there would
> > be some kind of switch for doing this.
>
> I suggested this on the list and the majority opinion was to do the
> redraw manually so people wouldn't have to wait for each change or
> addition to update the display.

maybe add a checkbox for this? (default off)
it'll be slower...

Hamish