[GRASS-dev] [bug #5371] (grass) Create new location from EPSG code is problematic

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Dec 7 16:48:56 EST 2006

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5371

Subject: Create new location from EPSG code is problematic

Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
GRASS Version: 6.2.0
tcl-8.4.13

"Path to new location" - Browse button is useless as it's impossible to
choose directory;
"EPSG code" -> "Browse" - I don't see my selection and thus can not
understand, that I can Crtl+C to copy code, I can't select code in any other
way. It needs atleast one sentence at top of list like "write down number on
peace of paper for later use...";
I pasted EPSG number using middle mouse button but GUI button "Define
location" was inactive. Typing in code by keyboard fixed problem.

When startup screen pops up, it has hilited new location, but it's not
selected - there are no mapsets shown, altough "Enter GRASS" button is active
(but it shouldn't). There is also error message in xterm "ERROR: LOCATION
<< /home/ddd/tmp/3302.tmp >> not available" Location's name should
be "newLocation" and not "3302.tmp". Pressing "Enter GRASS" results in
failure - "PERMANENT is not a valid mapset".
.grassrc6 content after creating new location from EPSG code:
LOCATION_NAME: 3302.tmp
MAPSET: PERMANENT
DIGITIZER: none
GISDBASE: /home/ddd/tmp

Clicking on hilited "newLocation" fixes problem and I can start GRASS as
expected.