[GRASS-dev] Re: winGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Dec 13 09:03:36 EST 2006

On Wed, December 13, 2006 14:29, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Moritz
> Comments below.
>
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>> Great job. Thanks for doing this !
>>
>> I have had the following issues/questions while trying to go through the
>> compilation using your tarball of compiled libraries (as comments (Mo:)
>> within your compile instructions (Pa:)):
>>
>> Pa: Download and run the MinGW installer. Let it download and install
>> what
>> it needs.
>>
>> Mo:
>>
>> - I imagine I have to tell the installer to install g++ and mingw make ?
>
> Hmm, yes. I wasn't sure but as I recall I ticked those boxes yes. I told
> you my notes weren't thorough!

no problem, just wanted to make sure.

>> - I imagine you just forgot to mention the install of msys ?
>
> I mentioned it after pdcurses - don't recall there being any notable
> problems with it hence the briefness of the mention!

Sorry, yes. But if I see correctly, pdcurses (already renamed) is in your
tar ball.

>> Pa: Also install: flex from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net and put flex.exe in
>> Mingw bin directory
>>
>> Mo: Why not flex from mingw ? And all I need to do is copy flex.exe,
>> nothing else ?
>
> I couldn't find flex on the Mingw site. Maybe I was blind. Is it there?
> Yes, just putting the flex.exe in the mingw bin directory worked fine for
> me.

Here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82724&release_id=158862
you see flex and bison for msys (I think this might be the problem with my
bison installation: it is for msys and I installed it in the mingw
directory - will try again in msys)

>> Pa: Use bison from Mingw as Gnuwin32 bison looks for libintl3.dll
>>
>> Mo: I did that, but I get this error:
>>
>> cannot open file `/msys/share/bison/m4sugar/m4sugar.m4': No such file or
>> directory
>> make[3]: *** [y.tab.h] Error 1
>>
>> It is in /mingw/share/bison/m4sugar/m4sugar.m4. I don't know why it is
>> looking for it in msys ? This causes an error in the compilation of
>> libvect and so many consequent errors.
>
> Ah OK. I think I hacked about with that a little bit come to think of it.
> Just put it where it's looking for it ;)

I'll try as mentioned above. If that doesn't help, I'll move it around.

>> Mo: What about the shared files from proj, such as epsg (in share
>> directory when ./configure&&make&&make install of proj in msys), they
>> are
>> not in your tarball
>
> Good point. I should think there is only that one file affected by that
> though. Shared files needed by PROJ and GDAL are generally included with
> GRASS. See earlier discussions on the mailing list today about that EPSG
> file.

Ok, so I'll ignore this for now.

>> Mo: during compilation, I get many errors concerning unfindable
>> libz.dll.1.2.3; apparently program tries to launch db.*  grass exe files
>> such as db.columns, etc during compilation. Don't know why.
>> After copying all files from c:\forgrass\lib to
>> c:\grasssrc\grass6\dist*\lib no more error messages during compilation.
>> You mention copying these after compilation. What am I doing wrong ?
>
> Just make sure c:\forgrass\lib is in your PATH before you start compiling
> and it should be fine. I copy them after compilation just to have
> everything self-contained for distributing it to others. As long as the
> DLLs are on your system and in the PATH everything should work.

Ok, will try that.

> Also you need to change man/Makefile so it doesn't convert the HTML pages
> to man. The Makefile should be conditionalised so this is dependent on
> Perl being installed. Will look at it later.

Yes, saw an error on that. Will try to figure out how to change the makefile.

Thanks !

Moritz