[GRASS-dev] Re: winGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Dec 18 04:49:44 EST 2006

On Fri, December 15, 2006 23:50, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On Fri, December 15, 2006 18:01, Paul Kelly wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>
>>> Next step: make install
>>>
>>> - doesn't install the grass63.bat file in bin
>>> - when I copy grass63.bat to c:\grass\bin and modify it so that
>>> set WINGISBASE=c:\grass\grass-6.3.cvs
>>> I get error in startup script: "can't read "env(GISBASE)": no such
>>> variable while executing "source $env(GISBASE)/etc/gtcltk/gmsg.tcl"
>>> (file
>>> "c:\grass\grass-6.3.cvs\etc\gis_set.tcl" line 29)
>>
>> Possibly that something goes wrong in init.bat because the demolocation
>> directory doesn't get copied across during "make install"? I had been
>> using the .grassrc63 file in there as a temporary GISRC file so
>> g.dirseps
>> would work. Need to find a clean solution to this - all it needs is a
>> temporary file; it is fairly meaningless really. This ties in nicely
>> with
>> what Michael is looking at wrt a temporary GISRC file to make g.proj
>> run!
>>
>> If you copy across "demolocation/.grassrc63" to the install directory
>> does
>> it work? If so, that confirms the problem and we need to look at a more
>> elegant solution with regard to the temporary GISRC files.

Yes, this works. Now I can startup grass without msys !

Now, to go on:

- I had hoped that Radim's patch for dbmi_client
(http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-December/028118.html) might
solve the issue I've had with the db protocol errors, but apparently this
is not the case. When I push the 'show the attribute columns' in a vector
panel, I still get

*******
Displaying column types/names for database connection of layer 1:
dbmi: Protocol error

Cannot open table <streams>
********

and a 'v.db.select' on the same map gives me:

********
'vector/streams' was found in more mapsets (also found in user1).
dbmi: Protocol error

Cannot open select cursor
*********

Radim, as you have been working on this these days, do you have an idea
what might be wrong ?

- I noticed that I can close the com.exe window and still continue using
grass. Is there any reason to keep this open ? If not, is there a way to
close it automatically ? Just a question of not multiplying unnecessary
windows.

- Help does not work. In individual command windows, the help button is
desactivated. In layer panels in the main GIS Manager window, when I push
the help button, I get:

child process exited abnormally
child process exited abnormally
    while executing
"exec -- g.manual d.vect >& NUL:"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval [list exec -- $cmd] $args >& $devnull"
    (procedure "run" line 8)
    invoked from within
"run g.manual d.vect"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 $cmd"
    (procedure "Button::_release" line 18)
    invoked from within
"Button::_release .mainframe.frame.pw1.f1.frame.sw.sf.frame.fr.name.e"
    (command bound to event)