[GRASS5] Re: Display Driver Updates

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Feb 6 07:43:47 EST 2006

Moritz Lennert wrote:

>> Glynn Clements wrote:
>>
>>> I've just committed a substantial restructuring of the display
>>> drivers. The actual code hasn't changed much, but there has been quite
>>> a lot of re-organisation. Please test any d.* modules which you are
>>> familiar with.
>>>
>>> The most significant code change is that the driver library no longer
>>> provides a main() function, and doesn't expect the driver to export
>>> specific symbols. Instead, each driver has its own "stub" main
>>> function which calls LIB_main(), passing a table of pointers to the
>>> actual driver functions.
>>>
>>> This eliminates the assumptions regarding the behaviour of the linker.
>>> It should be possible to build the driver library as a dynamic library
>>> on all platforms which support dynamic libraries.
>>>
>>> I haven't updated the HTMLMAP driver, so it won't build any more.
>>> AFAIK, it wasn't being used due to the fact that d.vect uses
>>> G_plot_area rather than R_polygon_abs, which doesn't work with the
>>> HTMLMAP driver.
>>

>> I just updated my cvs tree and recompiled, and now I cannot start a
>> monitor anymore:
>>
>> d.mon start=x0
>> Could not execute monitor: No such file or directory
>> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
>> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
>> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
>>

> I also cannot launch gis.m anymore:
>
> gis.m
> Could not execute monitor: No such file or directory

Here are the compilation error messages:

grass6/display/drivers/lib$ make
gcc -I/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/include
-I/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/include/grass
-Wall -g -O2  -Wall -Wconversion -Wno-implicit-int   -fPIC
-DPACKAGE=\""grasslibs"\" -I/usr/include/freetype2
-DPACKAGE=\""grasslibs"\"  -I/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/include
-I/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/include/grass \
                 -o OBJ.i486-pc-linux-gnu/font.o -c font.c
font.c:10: error: 'index' redeclared as different kind of symbol
font.c: In function 'font_init':
font.c:49: warning: passing argument 3 of 'read' as unsigned due to
prototype
make: *** [OBJ.i486-pc-linux-gnu/font.o] Erreur 1

and the follow-up of this:

grass6/display/drivers/XDRIVER$ make
make: *** No rule to make target
`/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_driver.so',
needed by
`/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/driver/XDRIVER'.
  Stop.

grass6/display/drivers/PNG$ make
make: *** No rule to make target
`/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_driver.so',
needed by
`/home/mlennert/SRC/GRASS/grass6/dist.i486-pc-linux-gnu/driver/PNG'.  Stop.

Moritz