[GRASS5] [bug #4066] (grass) gis.m: black background

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 7 15:06:37 EST 2006

On Tue, February 7, 2006 19:26, Michael Barton wrote:

>>> Subject: gis.m: black background
>>>
>>> Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
>>> grass obtained from: CVS
>>> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
>>> GRASS Version: cvs_head_20060207
>>>
>>> I can confirm the problem with the back blackground in gis.m which
>> Maciek mentioned as a side note in another bug report
>> (http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4049&display=History).
>>>
>>> When I erase the map display the background becomes white, but as soon
>>> as I
>>> display a map it becomes black again.
>>

>> Maybe this might help in identifying the problem:
>>
>> A setting in the gis manager resulting in the command does not show
>> anything, i.e. not white boundaries on black background as it should.
>>
>> d.vect map=eurnuts3 color=255:255:255 lcolor=0:0:0 fcolor=none
>> display=shape type=point,line,boundary,area icon=basic/x size=5 layer=1
>> lsize=8 xref=left yref=center llayer=1
>
> This only sets the line color to white. It has no effect on the
> background.
> If you don't change the background (use 'd.erase black' as a command
> layer,
> for example), you'll get white on white. The default background was
> changed
> from black to white when we went from GRASS 5 to GRASS 6. So this is
> behaving correctly.
>
> As I said, however, you can change the background with d.erase

As I said in the original bug report: "When I erase the map display the
background becomes white, but as soon as I display a map it becomes black
again.". So my problem in the above case is not that I get white on white,
but that I have a black background (which I cannot get rid of), but that
when I try to display a vector map with color set to white, it doesn't
show as it should (white on black). The map does show, however, when I
change color to any other value (red, green, blue, etc)

Something is wrong with the map display...

>> However,
>>
>> d.vect map=eurnuts3 color=255:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0 fcolor=none display=shape
>> type=point,line,boundary,area icon=basic/x size=5 layer=1 lsize=8
>> xref=left yref=center llayer=1
>>
>> does show red boundaries on the black background...
>
> On my system, this makes red lines on a white background.
>
> Keep in mind a couple things.
>
> 1) I'm only doing this from the GIS Manager, not from the command line.
> d.*
> commands will give unpredictable results (or won't work at all) from the
> command line in the new GIS Manager because I'm no longer using x11
> displays.

I used the GIS Manager.

> 2) I'm working with a Mac binary from 21 January. It's possible that the
> recent changes to the display drivers are causing the background to go to
> black. Anyone want to hazard a guess on this??

I guess this must be linked somehow... Could that be possible, Glynn ?

Moritz