[GRASS5] New release candidate 3 of GIS Manager 2

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Feb 13 12:02:00 EST 2006

I just committed to the CVS and posted to my website
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_gismgr> the (hopefully)
final release candidate for the new GRASS GIS Manager. It has many updates.
I think I¹ve fixed all reported bugs or anomalous behavior‹and a number of
unreported ones. A few of the highlights.

A fix for the Œblack canvas¹ that some people have been getting. In the
future, I¹ll be implementing a different solution when I change the
compositing procedures that create the map displays. But this should work
for now.

ŒSticky¹ zooming‹by popular demand. Also, the Œhelpful¹ messages now show up
in the status area at the bottom of the screen instead of a little message
window that  you have to click to get rid of.

A new text layer of high-resolution postscript text to replace d.text and
d.text.freetype. Along with this comes easier ways of selecting fonts.

A Œzoom to current region¹ button so that map displays can use regions set
using g.region.

Usability improvements to the print dialog.

Redesign of all layer panels to make them easier to use.

A few added convenience features. The one I like the best was inspired by
Peter Misovic¹s questions about displays and queries. You can now save the
results of a display query‹in the vector display‹to a new vector file (using
v.extract).

Thanks for all the suggestions and testing. When this release candidate goes
through testing and any remaining bugs are removed, I hope to make this the
default GUI for GRASS.

Along with this, I¹d encourage updates to additional modules to make this
all work even more seamlessly. For example...

-a new i.gcp module to replace i.points and i.vpoints. i.gcp would accept
input coordinate pairs x1,y1,x2,y2 (for existing point coordinates and
desired georeferenced coordinates), manage the ascii points file, and
calculate rms errors. Graphic could be handled by a GUI.

-a new vector (and raster?) digitizing module that would accept xy
coordinate pairs and create new vectors or edit existing vectors

-update nviz to work without needing an xmonitor and to display in a map
display canvas.

Cheers,
Michael
Arizona State University