[GRASS5] GRASS-header-file locations changed?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 14 08:19:07 EST 2006

>> Radim Blazek wrote:
>>> I still believe that it is a wrong approach to make compilation of
>>> other packages with GRASS support more difficult than it was before.
 >>
>> So GRASS' is obliged to install itself according to the demands of
>> third-party packages?
>>
>> The existing layout is wrong; GRASS should be able to be installed
>> into /usr/{bin,lib,include,share} just like every other package.

Radim,

(forgive me if I have attribution wrong)

GRASS is not obligated to install itself according to the "demands"
of third party packages.  *But* there is a high cost in disruption and
software builder anguish to a change like moving the grass include files
into a subdirectory.

It is clearly a cleaner technical solution, but I just hope you are
aware of the implicit cost.  We will basically see several years worth
of email from package builders about this and that external package
not building and them not knowing why.  As an external package developer
trying to be cooperative with GRASS, I will also get frustrated.

That said, does GRASS have a "grass-config" type script that other packages
can use to determine correct libs, include and other information?  I looked
around in my GRASS 6.0.1 install tree and didn't see anything.  While it will
be a while before this helps, perhaps this would be a good time to introduce
this common convention into GRASS.  Especially important would be to a
"grass-config --libs" option as the list of libraries tends to evolve
from release to release.

Best regards,