[GRASS5] Re: BTS, what was that?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun Feb 19 13:42:11 EST 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 11:44:08AM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:44:51PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree, but IMHO just a notification from bugzilla when bug is closed
> > > with fix in CVS could be enough to keep track on fixes for stable
> > > versions.
> >
> > Maybe Intevation could implement this into the existing RT?
> >
> > > Just another 2 c:
> > > bugzilla is useful to tracking code submissions by developers w/o
> > > write access to CVS. This way works Gentoo bugzilla. New ebuild first
> > > is submitted as bug, then users/developers interested in it make tests
> > > etc. and when it looks OK, bug gets closed as ebuild moves to portage.
> > >
> > > I hope this time everybody will understand what I was trying to say :)
> >
> > Yes, understood now. This sounds reasonable to me.
> >

> Yes, that was also my intended idea. Single/alternative patches could be
> tested well before committing, also by users for instance.
> I would also add - but I know I'm pretending so much - that probably a
> different SCM could be considered. SVN for instance works better with
> patchsets and alternative trees in respect with CVS...

Our idea at Intevation is to offer our gforge installation with SVN
to GRASS development. We currently ironing out some problems
with gforge (and SVN), before I think it is the best time for a move for GRASS.

Note that the jump to SVN will put some stress on GRASS developers,
as CVS was used the first time for them in GRASS, so there will
be a learning curve.