[GRASSLIST:10435] Re: [GRASS5] gis manager 2 rc3 - bug fixes and updates

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Tue Feb 21 02:58:25 EST 2006

Michael,

Before gis.m stopped working for me due to recent tcl/tk 8.3
incompatibility, I have noted down following remaining issues.

CCing Glynn as some issues are display related.

1. Increase the width of main gis.m, a bit. Currently the properties of
a vector layer ("Display vector maps") doens't fit (few pixels) thus
the horizontal slider bar is there - actually no real need for it.

2. g.region zombies are gone. d.mon ones still bite. You asked me once
how to find them. Home-made zombie detector: ps -A -f | grep defunct.

3. When reducing the gis.m window size, the buttons in the bottom of the
window ("run" "clear" etc.) get hidden. When I enlarge the window back
they come back but a huge amount of space becomes wasted in the window.
Please do some resizing the window for and back to see what I mean.
Could the buttons be always left visible? And the window space not
wasted?

4. The "Digitize map" button doesn't work. In case of rasters something
pops up but dissapears in a flash. For vectors an error is issued:

child process exited abnormally
child process exited abnormally
    while executing
"exec -- d.mon start=x0 >@ stdout 2>@ stderr"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval exec -- $cmd >@ stdout 2>@ stderr"
    (procedure "runcmd" line 5)
    invoked from within
"runcmd "d.mon start=x$xmon""
    invoked from within
"if ![catch {open "|d.mon -L" r} input] {
			while {[gets $input line] >= 0} {
            	if {[regexp -nocase "$xmon.*not running" $line]} {
					run..."
    (procedure "GmVector::WorkOnVector" line 28)
    invoked from within
"GmVector::WorkOnVector $sel"
    ("vector" arm line 2)
    invoked from within
"switch $type {
        raster {
        term r.digit $sel
            return
        }
        vector {
	    GmVector::WorkOnVector $sel
        }
   ..."
    (procedure "GmTree::vedit" line 16)
    invoked from within
"GmTree::vedit"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 $cmd"
    (procedure "Button::_release" line 18)
    invoked from within
"Button::_release .mainframe.topf.tb1.bbox5.b0"
    (command bound to event)

And terminal reads:

using default visual which is TrueColor
ncolors: 16777216
Graphics driver [x0] started
Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.
Use d.mon to select a monitor
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.
Use d.mon to select a monitor

5. The current tool should be automatically de-selected when chossing
another tool. Currently it's not:

a) Use zoom, unzoom or pan tool.
b) Don't quit it.
c) Use query tool.
d) See how the tool you used in 1. still affects the display (moves,
resizes etc.)

6. gis.m will fail to display a raster of name identical to another in
different mapsets; and the "Map display" window will become broken after
that:

WARNING: 'cell/x' was found in more mapsets (also found in topo).
WARNING: 'cell/x' was found in more mapsets (also found in topo).
    while executing
"close $rt"
    (procedure "GmRaster::display" line 29)
    invoked from within
"GmRaster::display $node"
    ("raster" arm line 2)
    invoked from within
"switch $type {
        group {
            GmGroup::display $node
		}
		raster {
			GmRaster::display $node
		}
		labels {
			GmLabels::display $node
..."
    (procedure "GmTree::display_node" line 6)
    invoked from within
"GmTree::display_node $n"
    (procedure "GmGroup::display" line 14)
    invoked from within
"GmGroup::display "root""
    invoked from within
"if ![catch {open "|d.mon -L" r} input] {
		while {[gets $input line] >= 0} {
			if {[regexp "^gism.*not running" $line]} {
				runcmd "d.mon start=gis..."
    (procedure "MapCanvas::drawmap" line 22)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::drawmap 1"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 $cmd"
    (procedure "Button::_release" line 18)
    invoked from within
"Button::_release .mapcan(1).mf.topf.tb0.bbox1.b0"
    (command bound to event)

7. The "Show data" button will not work for vectors outside the current
mapset, at least in case of DBF driver. This is due to you have specify
the path to a database for db.select implicitely at present:

a) I'm in mapset "topo".
b) To display data of a DBF table of a vector "cieki" in mapset "melio"
I have to use:

db.select cieki database='$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/melio/dbf/'

The way gis.m and d.m currently is doing it is:

db.select table=cieki at melio

Which leads to an error:

dbmi: Protocol error
dbmi: Protocol error

There is a thread open for this issue in the bugtracker. Markus says it
is not a bug. I'll close it as soon as I'm convinced. Currently I don't
quite understand why "db.select table=cieki at melio" should not work.
https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4083

On top of it, I'm not sure if using db.select for the purpose you are
using it is a good idea - the name of a datatable happens to be
different than the vector file name. The way "Show data" is now will
work for sure only for vectors created by Grass commands which
automatically create a table of the same name as the vector file. But
would not in case of multi layer vector files (e.g. v.clean output),
when the table names for each layer differ from the vector file name by
a _<number> suffix.

Does anyody know what else command could be used then instead of
db.select to avoid those problems?

8. The menu Xtns contains an active button "Add extensions here",
clicking which leads to an error for obvious reason - obvious for
somewhat experienced Grass user, newcomers might be puzzled. Could this
button be replaced with a plain text or removed?

9. Wish: make mouse wheel working in all the d.m/gis.m windows. This
issue was mentioned on the list before, few moths ago, and the
conclussion was it would be not doable for then. Any progress/chances
in this regard currently?

10. Zooming in is not working properly:

a) v.in.region output=frame
b) add the vector 'frame' to gis.m layer tree
c) g.region vect=frame
d) "Zoom to current region" in "Map display"
e) display
f) you should see the whole vector 'frame', but you don't

This reminds me of https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3613.
Still open.

Maciek