[GRASS5] d.m and d.mon fail after cvs update

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Feb 24 06:56:13 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> Currently when I use monitor override, I cannot open an xmon window from the
> GIS Manager. I get a 'No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>' error.
>
> The way I had it was ...
>
> d.mon start=gism -s
> set env(MONITOR_OVERRIDE) "gism"
> ...display commands
> d.mon stop=gism
>
> If I try to start an xmon (e.g., for v.digit), I get the 'No socket...'
> error.
>
> If I change to...
>
> d.mon start=gism
> ...display commands
> d.mon stop=gism
>
> I get no error.

You need to unset MONITOR_OVERRIDE after you're done with it, i.e.:

	unset env(MONITOR_OVERRIDE)

> I've tried using monitor override to select the xmon for v.digit (or other
> module that needs it) and unsetting monitor override after stopping gism.

Either of those should work.

> This is not a big issue now. But when I start redoing the compositing, I'll
> want to keep gism running all the time, except when doing a window resize.
> Then I'll really need to use monitor override.

You can set and unset env(MONITOR_OVERRIDE) while the gism monitor is
running. It only needs to be set while running d.* commands which are
supposed to use a specific monitor.