[GRASS5] Platform for next generation UI

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 09:26:57 EST 2006

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 12:30 +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> The main problem I see there is that feedback from people who don't
> have a background in geosciences may be of limited value. I'd attach
> far more significance to comments from regular GRASS users than to
> those from someone with a background in (generic) usability issues.

Glynn,

I think you make a fair point, but one should not /preclude/ the other.
In years past, GIS neophytes like myself have said "wouldn't it be nice
if the UI could fill in defaults that are evident from the data that I
just don't know about?" and the resounding response was "NO!  If you
don't know how to specify a location and projection, you don't deserve
to run GRASS."  Well, I've read the books and done the tutorials, and
can, haltingly, get new data into GRASS, but I /still/ wish that the UI
design could allow for a system to make reasonable inferences about data
that looks, smells, and tastes like US census data without me having to
wonder if I've set my parameters correctly.