[GRASS5] GRASS in Open GIS foundation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jan 16 14:41:40 EST 2006

I just want to add my strong support for GRASS participation in this
initiative. I've been watching it sporadically since it was announced late
last year.

Something along the lines of a foundation for GRASS is much needed and would
bring the benefits Markus mentioned.

The AutoDesk, MapServer, + foundation meeting sounds good as it has some
momentum and funding behind it. I worry a little that GRASS might get lost
in the larger organization and won't actually benefit much. But, if it
works, it will be great for GRASS and GRASS users--publicity, broader
support, standards--and for open source GIS in general.

I'm strongly in favor of Markus attending the Chicago meeting.

Michael

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

phone: 480-965-6213