[GRASS5] GRASS in Open GIS foundation

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jan 16 14:52:01 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:41:40PM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> I just want to add my strong support for GRASS participation in this
> initiative. I've been watching it sporadically since it was announced late
> last year.
>
> Something along the lines of a foundation for GRASS is much needed and would
> bring the benefits Markus mentioned.
>
> The AutoDesk, MapServer, + foundation meeting sounds good as it has some
> momentum and funding behind it. I worry a little that GRASS might get lost
> in the larger organization and won't actually benefit much. But, if it
> works, it will be great for GRASS and GRASS users--publicity, broader
> support, standards--and for open source GIS in general.

I am also afraid of that, but if GRASS supported actively contribute.
We should try to open a "GRASS chapter" or whatever within this
foundation. This could be a way to collect donations and redirect them
to develop long standing missing pieces in GRASS.

Of course there may be other initiatives to support GRASS such as
gfoss.it or the GAV www.grass-verein.de in Germany.

> I'm strongly in favor of Markus attending the Chicago meeting.

It seems that I will be able to attend.

Markus