[GRASS5] Re: Talking about an umbrella GFOSS foundation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jan 23 11:14:54 EST 2006

I joined the list to follow what is going on. Unfortunately, it has quite a
bit of normal MapServer development/use issues interspersed with GFOSS
foundation discussions.

I'm waiting to see how GRASS fits in. One relevant item that came up is that
of licensing standards within the proposed foundation. The short comment
suggested that GRASS's GPL license may be a limiting factor, but that it
would probably be nigh on impossible to change.

Something I haven't seen come up yet, but what is probably the most
important set of issues at the meeting next week is the governance structure
and how support would be allocated.

You're probably already planning on this, Markus, but I want to note that
the user base and code base figures that Martin and Hamish talked about last
year will probably be useful stats to have handy.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA