[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:10037] Re: AW: Problem installing GDAL

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jan 30 19:51:23 EST 2006

Radim Blazek wrote:

> > Since G_asprintf() function is now defined as a macro on some platforms having
> > asprintf(), test for G_asprintf() in GDAL configure fails.  Open the GDAL
> > configure script and change all G_asprintf strings to G_version.
>
> Sorry. I was noit aware of G_asprintf use in GDAL configure.
> I have changed GRASS library to implement G_asprintf instead of
> macro. We can reintroduce the macro when a stable version of GDAL
> using a different function will become widely used.

As G_asprintf() is variadic, a macro probably isn't such a great idea;
variadic macros aren't particularly portable.

Are there any systems out there which provide asprintf() but which
don't provide vasprintf()?

Assuming that vasprintf() is available, it would be better to use the
current G_asprintf() implementation even if there weren't any problems
with using a macro.