[GRASS-dev] change permissions for mapsets

Otto Dassau dassau at gdf-hannover.de
Sat Jul 1 04:24:31 EDT 2006

Dear Glynn

> Otto Dassau wrote:
>
>> I have a question about g.access.
>>
>> When I try to change permissions for mapset PERMANENT, it does not work:
>> -> access to PERMANENT must be open, nothing changed
>>
>> when I try to change permissions for another mapset test, it works:
>> -> Everyone now has access to mapset test
>>
>> Does this mean, that I cannot use mapset PERMANENT together with other users?
>> Or how can I resolve/change this?
>
> A few notes:
>
> 1. You cannot select a mapset as the current mapset (where any new
> maps will be created) unless you own the mapset directory; having
> write permission isn't sufficient.

does this mean, only one user (the owner of a mapset) can create
new maps in 'his/her' mapset? So if I want another user to have write
permissions I would have to change the owner of the mapset directory.

for example:

I work in a project (mapset) and during my holliday another user shall
keep on working for me. If I don't want to create an extra mapset, because
I will be back in a couple of weeks and don't want to have all data and
results split in 2 mapsets, I could change the owner of the mapset. Is
this correct?

> 2. To change the permissions for a mapset, you have to own the mapset
> directory.

ok - I understand, and g.access is only to restrict read and execute
access (as written in the manual).

> 3. No-one should ever have the PERMANENT mapset as their current
> mapset. GRASS doesn't actually enforce this, although it probably
> should.

yes, that would be fine - I think.

thanks a lot for your notes!

  Otto