[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4768] (grass) nviz segfault on startup when

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jul 4 15:20:54 EDT 2006

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> > Also, I'll look at the Togl demos, since this is a new version of
> > Togl.
>
> Togl built separately for OSX X11 - demos work, within limits.
>
> double, gears and texture demos work.  stereo, index and overlay
> demos do not.  According to the Togl docs, stereo and overlay
> features of Togl require hardware support for them, on higher-end
> graphics cards (and not even 'gaming' cards).  I'm running this on a
> MacBook, with the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics.  Maybe not up-to-
> snuff.  Does NVIZ use any of these features of Togl?

No.

> The Togl docs don't say anything about the index demo, but it fails
> with the same BadWindow/invalid window parameter error of the stereo
> demo, so it might be a similar hardware feature.

In this context, "index" refers to indexed-colour modes, i.e. those
where pixel values are indices into a palette, as opposed to
"true-colour" modes where pixels are split into red/green/blue fields.

The index demo will only work if your display is in an indexed-colour
mode. AFAIK, NVIZ won't work in such modes; it requires true-colour.