[GRASS-dev] [bug #3877] (grass) r.to.vect, v.in.ascii use too much memory for millions of points

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Jul 7 07:48:16 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote on 07/07/2006 10:19 AM:
> I was never very clear on this, but have an idea that topology is
> meaningless for data which is only points (no tree; only bounding box
> matters?). If so, the (correct) solution becomes much easier.

... nor me.
*If* topology is meaningless for point data, then we could add a test
in Vect_built() to
- check if only points are present in the map,
- if so, skip the topology creation.

A likewise test would be needed in the Vect_open() routine. Here the
question is if we can check beforehand that the map only contains
points and then ignore the topology (skip Vect_open_topo() in Vectlib?)

Markus