[GRASS-dev] [bug #3877] (grass) r.to.vect, v.in.ascii use too much memory for millions of points

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:27:15 EDT 2006

Helena Mitasova
Dept. of Marine, Earth and Atm. Sciences
1125 Jordan Hall, NCSU Box 8208,
Raleigh NC 27695
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/

On Jul 7, 2006, at 7:48 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hamish wrote on 07/07/2006 10:19 AM:
>> I was never very clear on this, but have an idea that topology is
>> meaningless for data which is only points (no tree; only bounding box
>> matters?). If so, the (correct) solution becomes much easier.
>>
> ... nor me.
> *If* topology is meaningless for point data, then we could add a test
> in Vect_built() to
> - check if only points are present in the map,
> - if so, skip the topology creation.

this is not generaly a good solution - I will get back to this when I
have more time -
it is good to read Radims document about what to do with the vector
format
first before further engaging in this discussion - Maciek please read
it -
that will give you a better idea what is going on.

Helena