[GRASS-dev] New raster-to-raster3d conversion module

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Sat Jul 8 18:15:24 EDT 2006

Dear devs,
i would like to add a new raster-to-raster3d conversion module
to the grass6.1 CVS in the near future.

The module is called r.elev.to.rast3.
It creates a new 3D raster map from a 2D elevation and a
2D "value" raster map. The principal functioning is shown here:
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r.elev.to.rast3.png

The module sources are available here:
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/r.elev.to.rast3.tar.gz

A sample screenshot of the spearfish dataset:
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r.elev.to.rast3_spearfish.png

This data was created with r.elev.to.rast3, exported with r3.out.vtk and visualized with Paraview (i used
the threshold filter and the opacity functionality, to separate the ground from the air).
This example is included in the documentation of the module (description.html).

I would like to ask if i can commit this module next week, or if i have to wait until
GRASS 6.1.0 is released?
I have tested this module with different datasets and it seems to work properly.
And i will add some tests to the grass test-suite.

Maybe someone want to test this module. A short description with examples
is available in the tar.gz file.

I think together with r.to.rast3
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r.to.rast3.png
r3.to.rast
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r3.to.rast.png
and r3.cross.rast
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r3.cross.rast.png
the raster<->rast3d modelling/conversion capabilities are mostly complete.
If somebody has a any ideas how to improve the existing modules, or about a new module,
please tell me. I will try to implement it.

Any suggestions, opinions are welcome.

Best regards
Soeren

btw.:
I have posted this mail to the grass-user list too. Maybe someone of the users want to
test it. :)