[GRASS-dev] New raster-to-raster3d conversion module

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 20:53:27 EDT 2006

Soeren Gebbert wrote:
> i would like to add a new raster-to-raster3d conversion module
> to the grass6.1 CVS in the near future.
>
> The module is called r.elev.to.rast3.
> It creates a new 3D raster map from a 2D elevation and a
> 2D "value" raster map. The principal functioning is shown here:
> http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r.elev.to.rast3.png

Congratulations on the new module!

> I would like to ask if i can commit this module next week, or if i
> have to wait until  GRASS 6.1.0 is released?
> I have tested this module with different datasets and it seems to work
> properly. And i will add some tests to the grass test-suite.

If the new module is ready to be in CVS, but you are not sure if it is
release-ready, you can always put it in CVS but not add it to the
Makefile or GUI menus. (as long as the change doesn't touch other parts
of the software)

> I think together with r.to.rast3
> http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r.to.rast3.png
> r3.to.rast
> http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r3.to.rast.png
> and r3.cross.rast
> http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r3.cross.rast.png
> the raster<->rast3d modelling/conversion capabilities are mostly
> complete.

Small versions of those pics would be a great addition to the help
pages, see r.terraflow, v.voronoi for examples.

Hamish