[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.1.0 release preparation

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 09:53:07 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have worked on the 6.1.0 announcement some:

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/web/announces/announce_grass610.html?rev=HEAD

please review. the opening text still needs a bit of cleanup as does the
blurb (see below).

Markus wrote:
> An announcement is drafted at
>  http://grass.itc.it/announces/announce_grass610.html
> The list of changes should be almost up to date, please
> review and add missing items. Also the wording of the
> first part could be more press release like.

"The GRASS Development Team announces:"

idea: release as a joint press release with OSGeo ?

me:
>"A feature release"
>I have no idea what this means vs. a "new release". 5.7.0 was a
>"development preview release" -- do you think that is too scary?

Markus:
> Maybe too scary?

changed to:
"A new release of <a href="http://grass.itc.it">GRASS GIS</a>
has been published today. This is a feature release in preparation for
the next benchmark release, which will be GRASS 6.2."

I am still not sure what it means, but it conveys some sort of plan.

MN:
> sites removed.

keep as "point data"? Non-GIS readers will wonder what "raster and
vector" means. They'll understand what "point data" (or similar) means,
and will be looking specifically for that functionality. shrug

me:
> >* we should update roadmap.html before final 6.1.0 release.
MN:
> Sounds good... but we would need to follow that roadmap then which
> rarely happened in the past. :)

? devel/roadmap.php seems pretty accurate to me feature-wise.

?:
v.edit: removed from announcement as not in Makefile. Still alpha/beta?
GEM: do mention it, but label as [beta]?

beginnings of a blurb:
GRASS GIS releases version 6.1.0
[date]

This new release includes hundreds of new features and support for the
latest GIS data formats.

The Geographic Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS GIS), is a
Geographic Information System (GIS) used for spatial modeling,
visualization of both raster and vector data, geospatial data management
and analysis, processing of satellite and aerial imagery, and production
of presentation graphics and hardcopy maps. GRASS combines powerful
raster, vector, and geospatial processing engines into a single
integrated software package.

The GRASS GIS project is developed under the terms of the GNU General
Public License (the GPL) in the open by volunteers the world over. GRASS
differs from many other GIS software packages used in the professional
world in that it is developed and distributed by users for users; mostly
on a volunteer basis, in the open, and is given away for free. Emphasis
is placed on interoperability and unlimited access to data as well as
software flexibility and evolution rate (both added features and bug
minimization).

GRASS is currently used in academic and commercial settings around the
world, as well as by many governmental agencies and environmental
consulting companies.

Hamish

ps - I will head into the field in a few hours, and aside from a few
busy days in the office next week, I will either be back in the field or
travelling for the next six weeks. Don't expect any quick responses from
the snow-bound fjords!