[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] v.in.ascii error message

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jul 13 06:09:12 EDT 2006

you need to delimit records with | not lines
and then have one record per line like this:

W115|58|2.4
N36|27|20.9

Also, I am not sure if W115 or N36 is a correct
way of specifying the coordinates?

Unfortunately, v.in.ascii almost always give that
error message, which is usually not to helpful.

Benjamin

gary wrote:
> I find this error message from v.in.ascii a bit cryptic.
>
> grass command:
> v.in.ascii input=/usr/localsrc/utm/PERMANENT/site.dat output=sites5
> format=point fs=| skip=0 x=1 y=2 z=0 cat=0
>
> error message:
> Maximum input row length: 24
> Maximum number of columns: 2
> Minimum number of columns: 0
>
> GRASS_INFO_ERROR(15897,1): x column number > minimum last column number
> GRASS_INFO_ERROR(15897,1): (incorrect field separator?)
>

> The file site. dat is one line as follows
> W115 58 2.4|N36 27 20.9
>
> The default separator is "pipe", so I'm sure the delimiter is fine. Any
> idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany