[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-CVS] michael: grass6/lib/init gis_set.tcl, 1.24, 1.25

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 18 13:02:29 EDT 2006

I agree with this. This is why the wording turned out awkward. It would be
much easier to just come up with more generic descriptions of what is needed
to start the program, but it is important to maintain the link with existing
terminology. And the terminology is not bad--better than the terminology in
some other programs, IMHO. It's just that it is specific to GRASS only and
must be faced to simply start the program.

So maybe a better idea is to keep the GRASS terminology and offer a brief
definition rather than to create a hybrid like I did. What about something
along the lines of...

Select GIS database
(directory containing GRASS data)

Select location
(projection and optional geographic extents)

Select mapset
(GIS files)

Michael
Arizona State University