[GRASS-dev] New OpenGL options to test for native Mac and Win NVIZ

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jul 19 21:09:04 EDT 2006

I brought home the PowerBook to test NVIZ.  Indeed, some problems.

On Jul 18, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> William,
>
> Here is an update.
>
> I downloaded and installed your Mac binaries and all supporting
> libraries. I
> even installed your tcltk 8.4.13 to override the Active States
> version I had
> installed.
>
> -Changing tcltk does not affect nviz running in the version of
> GRASS I'm
> compiling from the cvs.

 From Glynn's comment today, this is right - NVIZ is C linked to the
Tcl/Tk libraries, so it will use whichever Tcl/Tk it was linked
against at build time.  So it's not affected by GRASS_TCLSH or
GRASS_WISH.

> -Your binaries won't display any maps on my system, but they will run
> nviz...sort of. The normal map display bombs somehow with the gism PNG
> driver not getting selected. My guess is that somehow the following
> line is
> not working in your binaries on my system...
>
>     set env(MONITOR_OVERRIDE) "gism"

I also get an error starting gis.m:

child process exited abnormally
child process exited abnormally
     while executing
"exec -- d.font romans >& /dev/null"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval exec -- $cmd $args >& /dev/null"
     (procedure "run" line 6)
     invoked from within
"run d.font romans"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval run $cmd $args"
     (procedure "runcmd" line 6)
     invoked from within
"runcmd "d.font romans""
     (procedure "MapCanvas::runprograms" line 25)
     invoked from within
"MapCanvas::runprograms $mon [expr {$mymodified != 0}]"
     (procedure "MapCanvas::drawmap" line 43)
     invoked from within
"MapCanvas::drawmap $mon"
     (procedure "MapCanvas::display_server" line 9)
     invoked from within
"MapCanvas::display_server"
     ("after" script)

After clicking thru the error, no maps will display.

BUT, gis.m (same universal build of GRASS) DOES work on my MacBook.
I suspect there is a cross-compiler build error here.  Now that I
think about it, the font part of building GRASS is one place I had to
fiddle with things - make wants to run a program to process the
fonts... hm, maybe an endian thing.  I'll have to check that out.

I suspect if you get a PPC build to work, it'll be fine.  In fact,
since NVIZ and wish have nothing to do with each other, you can do a
normal X11 build, but use the Aqua wish when you run the GUI.

> -nviz partly works. It will display the map it started with. But
> the file
> browser doesn't work for loading any new maps (error below). Same for
> vectors. The map display keeps spreading over the control panels,
> though
> this can be fixed by resizing a bit. The color selectors don't work
> either.
> Most other controls for rasters seem to work.

Ah, I see what you mean now.  And that's a nasty wiggling on the
browser dialog box!  This DID work before.  Something that changed in
the NVIZ source between my first success (the browser did work and I
could add other rasters and vectors) and the refinements must have
broke it (I only tested loading the initial raster after that).

More to investigate...

I also noticed the GUI layout problems.  I figured that was a
separate issue, with the GUI widgets that are drawn natively by OSX
(like buttons and menus) being a little bigger than in X11.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin