[GRASS-dev] Re: startup screen language

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jul 21 01:25:05 EDT 2006

Thanks Helena,

I'm taking a bit of a break after the georectifier and a bunch of minor bug
fixes, but will work on this soon. I like Hamish's thoughts too. A couple of
technical issues...

Slide out drawers (as in Lorenzo's start screen) are not obviously doable in
TclTk.

Mouseover help text is available for labels.

However, I'd like to get a brief explanation/definition of these critically
important GRASS terms to the users very directly. So, I'd like to try to fit
the text in in parentheses. However, I can't make the entry screen any
larger, to keep it fitting within low-resolution screens and data
projectors. And we don't want TOO much text on the entry screen. Maybe a
combination of short definition and more help with mouseover text. I'll play
with it and see what I can come up with, then let you all see what you
think.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University