[GRASS-dev] New OpenGL options to test for native Mac and Win NVIZ

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jul 21 18:19:15 EDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 6:32 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> Can this be changed?  Maybe moderize the internal fonts to PostScript
>> or TrueType (probably difficult),
>>

> True-type fonts are already supported. Abandoning stroke fonts
> altogether is probably feasible now that GRASS no longer supports
> graphics terminals such as the 4105.

Assuming you mean FreeType support, you'd have to make FreeType a
requirement, not optional.  Maybe locate some basic free fonts to
include so GRASS doesn't have to rely on systems having particular
fonts installed.  Or better, tap into system functions to get default
fonts, but that would be different for each platform.

> As "make -C lib/fonts" only takes ~100ms (on a P3/800), it wouldn't be
> particularly onerous (in performance terms) to make the display driver
> read the text format directly instead of the binary version.

That sounds reasonable.  I was kinda wondering myself it that was
possible (but probably not something I could do).

If you think it's reasonable, I could add it as a wish.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin