[GRASS-dev] New OpenGL options to test for native Mac and Win NVIZ

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 22 22:28:33 EDT 2006

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> >> I also fixed the PROJ datum grid files to do the same, in my GIS
> >> Libs package.  The GRASS etc/nad is then symlinked to the PROJ data
> >> folder to simplify installation and maintenance of the datum files.
> >> (I hope this works and doesn't cause problems)
> >
> > IIRC, the New Zealand GD49 grid is distributed with GRASS but not
> > with GDAL.
> >
> > the NZ grid is not built from ascii, GRASS provides a binary
> > version; if
> > that makes any difference.
> >
> The nzgd2kgrid0005.gsb and ntv1_can.dat files are included in proj-
> datumgrid-1.3 for PROJ (not GDAL).  Tho you need to install the NZ
> grid manually with PROJ 4.4.9 (fixed in the 4.5.0 beta).

Ok, I'm still using 4.4.9 (Debian packages)

> And yes, they start out binary.  I wonder if there is an endian
> problem in these files.  I haven't heard complaints from Mac OS X
> users.  If they are little endian, there shouldn't be a problem on
> Intel Macs, but PPC Macs (or PPC or other big-end linux systems)
> could have problems.  I wonder if these tables have csv/text sources
> like the US NAD tables?

We use GRASS on PPC Macs here (NZ) and I haven't noticed it being
broken. (not to say that it couldn't be, but I'd be surprised if it
were and hadn't bitten us yet)

Yes, there is an ASCII version available from LINZ. I'd have to check
the old correspondence to see if we have explicit permission to
redistribute that in the same manner as the binary grid.

Hamish