[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4604] (grass) tcl/tk GUI: v.digit can't create new vect or in GUI mode

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jul 24 11:20:22 EDT 2006

Eric,

This is kind of a backhanded compliment I guess. From the command line,
GRASS has always had fairly primitive display control ability. NOTHING will
automatically open a display monitor of any kind.

Radim added the ability to  automatically open an x11 display monitor when
d.rast or d.vect was run to the Display Manager in GRASS 5 and 6. I added it
to the v.digit button in the old GIS Manager for GRASS 6 and someone else
added automatic background display.

These conveniences are all in the TclTk code that creates the GIS Manager.
>From the command line, you do all this manually...

D.mon start=x0
V.digit [vector map] bk=[background commands]
Etc.

Displaying things in the TclTk canvas, with display controls is completely
done within TclTk code, using display output to PPM files. This is where
things get problematic with v.digit, which only displays to an x11 monitor.

So this is NOT a bug. It is the way that the GRASS CLI is supposed to work.
You can make it a wish, however.

Cheers
Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity